What is the value of Books in Our Life? What are the benefits of reading ?
Written by M.S. Yadav, Lecturer
Are books play any role in our life?
BOOKS play an important role in everybody’s life and they introduce us to a world of imagination , provide knowledge of the outside world, improve our reading, writing and speaking skills. They boost our memory and intelligence. We cannot undermine the books because they are not only helping us in broadening our horizons but also act as threshold of connecting us with the world around us. They act as a survival kits, they influence us and leave an impression on us. Do you want to know the benefits of books and the importance of reading? Are you curious about how books impact our lives? Read this article to know all about the importance of books in a our life, my experiences about learning a language and how do reading play an important in expertise in any language? My tagline is “Read to Learn” and this will be proved after reading this article.
Do you want to enhance your knowledge and learn the language?
Speaking, Listening ,Reading and Writing, are the four pillars of any language and once you are comfortable in these FOUR SKILLS ,means, you have learned the language. I will discuss theses four skills in future and today, I want put emphasis on reading as you know that reading is the base of learning. Reading books is best technique to enhance your knowledge and improve your personality. Books have abundance of knowledge, they give us life lessons, they teach us about hardships, love, fear, and every little thing that is a part of life. Books have been the main part of our life for centuries and contain the knowledge of our past, civilizations, and cultures. Therefore, they are also the source of understanding the History of any culture, wars, countries and their good and bad things. It means, more you read, the more you will learn. So, develop your habits reading in any form, it can be anything ,like, books, newspapers, magazines , printed media and your school books. Let us discuss some major pros of reading the books:
- If you want a friend ,Books can become your best friends. Try it first and then realize in the same way as you make friends in your life .Books illuminate your imagination.
- Books develop the unique view of world . These days, books are coming in digital form and you need not carry, if can’t read then listen the audio of books when you are travelling or doing some other work. There are so many apps available . I personally use KUKU FM but you do your research which app is suitable for you .
- Books are natural source to develop your confidence which is justified when you try to participate in discussion without reading, it becomes impossible to continue on the stage or even in exams.
- Books are helpful in developing your confidence as all of you know that without reading books, we may fail in exams.
- Books help you to improve your reading skills and which ultimately improves your language skills.
- Books develop your analytical skills. Mathematics books are the main source of analytical skills.
- Books develop ethics in you as every book has a lesson in it.
- Books plays an important role in developing your memory and therefore, books sharpen our memory.
- Are you in stress? Read light theme books to feel relaxed and read YOGA books.
How to Develop our habits of Reading ?
Reading has ampules of benefits including improving our memory and vocabulary, helping you learn new things, and improving focus and concentration. Do we really try to develop our habits of reading ? Our reading habits develop in schools. It means , we should try this habit of reading at school, but unfortunately, this never happens in our schools. In schools, classroom is dominated by a teacher and this is one way traffic. We ask the students to finish reading of two pages but more than 90% of students don’t even try to read. They feel burden in reading syllabus books. We should develop this habits of reading among students by providing literature of their interest. Teachers should give 25 % of class for the purpose. Try different methods, take the students to library where they can read literature of thein interest like reading comics books, stories books and Newspapers. This should be started at primary level in our schools.
Books can develop confidence in students
Reading of books definitely IMPROVE OUR CONFIDENCE because confidence comes by knowledge. We gain knowledge by reading books. When we read a book, we learn about the struggles and hardships of various characters. We relate those situations to use present and start imitating the characters of the story. Therefore, our confidence level increases . Sometimes we even relate those situations with our personal lives. Understanding the situations of the characters of a book and how they overcome difficult times and challenges give us courage and confidence to deal with our problems. Also, a well read person will always have more knowledge about various topics that will equip that person better for social situations and for holding conversations with groups of people.
Books Definitely help us to Grow Mentally and Emotionally
We read books to increase our knowledge and knowledge always make us PSYCHOLOGICALLY strong. People are becoming mentally and emotionally weak due to their unwanted situations in their daily life. Reading can expand our vocabulary and communication skills which can help us to interact better with people. Also, reading is an effective way of boosting our memory and enhancing our focus. Reading books makes us empathetic. We understand peoples’ situations, it leaves a strong impact on our capacity to have empathy with people. Reading makes us psychologically strong.
Reading helps in our mental exercise
Reading is great fun for many people, but some people also feel burden if they are compelled to read the books which are of not their interest. reading also has many benefits for our mental health in the form of thinking and understanding. It helps to do mental exercise through words of difficult level and sharpen our mind. It improves our brain functions after getting new information and analyzing different words or sentences. Reading REDUCES STRESS from our mind and helps us to come out of depression and anxiety.
Therefore, we can say that “Read to Learn” is the right tagline, the more books you read, the more you will excel in your life. This process will make you more comfortable in handling your intellectuals zeal to learn. I have been teaching for a long time and put my maximum efforts to convince the students to put more concentration of reading in any form . So, we can say that books are helpful in increasing our vocabulary, reduces stress, mental exercise, improve personality, make our mind strong, develop confidence , improve reading , writing and speaking skills . Thus in conclusion , we can excel in our life after reading books . It means that BOOKS are asset in our life . Read the following BEST EVER BOOKS to excel in your life:
RICH DAD POOR DAD: WHAT THE RICH TEACH THEIR KIDS ABOUT MONEY THAT THE POOR AND MIDDLE CLASS DO NOT!
- “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his needs, is good for him.” —Maya Angelou
- “Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.”– Vera Nazarian
- “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.“ —Kofi Annan
- “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.“ —Victor Hugo
- “We read to know we are not alone.” —C.S. Lewis
- “Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time. —E.P. Whipple
- “A parent or a teacher has only his lifetime; a good book can teach forever.” —Louis L’Amour
- “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.” —Mark Twain
- “Let us read and let us dance—two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.” —Voltaire
- “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.” —Austin Phelps
- “It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.” —S.I. Hayakawa
- “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney
- “There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book.” – Marcel Proust
- “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
- “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
- “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” – Emilie Buchwald
- “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” – Frank Serafini
- “Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”– Jane Smiley
- “Take a good book to bed with you—books do not snore.” – Thea Dorn